Characteristics of a high performing team:
- Collaborative / effective communicator
- Willing to cross boundaries
- Work side by side / discuss work out problems real time
- A lot of face to face communication required
- Humility – accept feedback
- Able to compromise / support team decisions
- Able to reflect back on events and provide insights (critical for retrospectives)
- Always looking to improve
- Think about things rather than blinding moving forward…..
- Pragmatic – Knows what “just” enough is, Do what it takes
- Adaptive / Flexible – Change direction as required
- Takes initiative / self motivated
- Willing to try new things (may be evident by a desire for continuous learning)
- Can figure out the most important thing to do next. Doesn’t need to be told what to do.
- Risk tolerant – able to make a decision and act based on the information known
- Able to work in fast pace / intense
- Willing to work in a team room – little privacy, very noisy, no prestige
- Can challenge ideas in a respectful manner
- Work incrementally – Willing to revisit work
- Accepting that the big picture will evolve over time
How to detect these characteristics:
- Behavioural descriptive questions – tell me a time when….give me an example of….
- Interests / desires may be evidence of the characteristics
- Informal references from prior projects / peers etc.
- Auditions – pairing on an activity
- Trial periods
Taken from Calgary APLN